This blog will probably be the first of several I write on the subject of vegetarian lunches. Let’s face it – we all need a bit of lunchtime inspiration from time to time, especially as it’s just so easy to grab a quick bite of something or other from the refrigerator without giving it too much thought.
What you eat for your lunch could make or break your working day, and a tasty, healthy vegetarian lunch may be all you need to fuel yourself on toward a productive afternoon of work. So today, I’m sharing a healthy vegetarian lunch recipe with you here; don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients in this recipe, once you have the basics for the dressing in your kitchen, this recipe is quick and easy to make and, what’s more, it tastes delicious!
1-2 cups of bulgur wheat or couscous
4-6 ripe tomatoes, chopped
3-4 scallions – sliced
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
Finely chopped fresh parsley, dill and mint
Ingredients for the dressing:
4 tbsp lemon juice
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp each of cumin and paprika
Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
Pinch of dried chili flakes (optional)
1. Cook the bulgur wheat or couscous. As it’s cooking, prepare the dressing by mixing the lemon juice, tomato puree, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika and chili together. Finally, blend in the oil with a whisk.
2. Pour the dressing over the cooked bulgur wheat or couscous, stir well and leave to cool and marinate for at least 1 hour.
3. Prepare the tomatoes, peppers and scallions and mix them into the cooled, marinated bulgur wheat or couscous. Leave to stand for at least 30 minutes, to let all the flavors mix together.
4. Serve with bread, such as pita bread and crunchy, green salad leaves.
* To add an extra crunchy twist to this dish you could also throw in some toasted nuts in step 3 – walnuts work well with this dish and are a good source of protein and if you’re in need of some more healthy vegetarian lunch box ideas, take a look at this article I found on the Fit Sugar website.