Traditional vegetarian sandwich fillings can be, let’s face it, less than inspiring – cheese sandwich anyone? It’s so easy to fall back on the good old cheese sandwich when you’re busy and pushed for time but, the truth is, with a bit of creativity it’s easy to turn this quick lunchtime staple into a light meal that is both delicious and healthy.
While the filling is important when it comes to a sandwich, don’t forget about the bread! We all have our favorite types of bread, so choose any type of bread that you enjoy to make your sandwiches – there are no hard and fast rules in sandwich making! And remember, you can always make your own bread; if you own a bread maker then it’s easier than ever to create your own different varieties of bread.
To help us all think outside the cheese sandwich box, here’s a healthy vegetarian sandwich idea that is also really quick and easy to make.
Vegetarian club sandwich
1 and ½ tbsp hummus
2 tomatoes – sliced thickly
1 carrot coarsely grated
1 handful watercress or rocket leaves
1 tbsp olive oil
3 slices of the bread of your choice
1. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, carrot and watercress in a bowl.
2. Toast the bread and when ready, spread a layer of humus over each slice of bread.
3. On one slice of the toasted bread and hummus add the flavored carrot and watercress and the tomato slices.
4. Add another piece of toast and repeat step 3.
5. Place the final piece of toast, hummus side down on top.
And if you still need inspiration, you could always try one of the tasty fillings listed in this Fit Sugar article or visit The Vegan Society’s sandwich fillings idea page, which is packed full of delicious (and not at all dull) ideas for sandwich fillings.