Almond Butter vs. Peanut Butter: Which One is Healthier?

I’ve had to learn a lot about plant-based foods since I became a vegetarian. A lot of what I thought I knew about fruits, veggies, grains and other vegetarian staples wasn’t always true. As I progress in my nutritional journey, I’m always looking for the optimal choice, the ideal food, the healthiest bite.

Since nut butters are pretty much a vegetarian staple, I was really curious to see this infographic on almond butter vs. peanut butter. It’s called “What’s Healthiest, Peanut Butter or Almond Butter?” and it compares the two stand-bys on several different points.

Here are some of the key results:

Both are good sources of protein, though peanut butter is slightly better, with 8g per 2T serving versus the 7g in almond butter.

Both are really high in fat, with peanut butter containing 16g and almond butter having 18g. However, they both have a good supply of MUFAs (healthy fats), too, with penaut butter coming in at 8g and almond butter at 10g. Peanut and almond butter tie on carb counts, at 6g each. At this point, the two butters are pretty much even, but from there they begin to diverge.

Vegetarian food - peanut and almond butter 2

Almond butter has less saturated fat; 1g vs. peanut butter’s 3g. Almond butter also has twice the magnesium (89mg of peanut butter. Magnesium is essential for bone health, a concern for non-lacto vegetarians. Almond butter also has 163mg of phosphorous (healing and cell renewal) versus only 115g in peanut butter. They both contain about the same amount of potassium, but almond butter has a whopping 111mg of calcium, while peanut butter only has 14mg. That 692% more calcium in almond butter!

Almond butter does have slightly more calories (by about ten), but it has twice the fiber, 86% more iron and 169% more vitamin E.

According to Prevention, almond butter is a clear winner.

I have to admit, I switched to using almond butter almost exclusively (over peanut butter) a couple of years ago, but I had no idea how much difference there was.

It just proves you can’t stop learning! Now go make yourself some toast with almond butter.

, , ,

9 Responses to Almond Butter vs. Peanut Butter: Which One is Healthier?

1. Jenny Sangler October 16, 2012 at 2:49 am #

What do you think about the fact that almond butter is a healthier choice than peanut butter? Are you going to switch to almond butter? Share us your thought!

- Jenny Sangler

2. Marie October 16, 2012 at 7:30 am #

This is great information!

3. cindi lakes October 16, 2012 at 11:06 am #

I found this extremely interesting, I eat both and also did not think there was that much difference between the two. The next time i am deciding which to have however, I am sure these stats are going to pop into my head and have some influence on my decision. I would be interested in seeing how sunflower butter stacks up. It is really good!! My grandson is allergic to peanuts and almonds so we bought this as an alternative because everyone has to have some type of nut butter!! He loves it!!! I tried it and was surprised to find how good it was, very close to peanut butter actually.

• Jenny Sangler October 16, 2012 at 11:14 am #

Hmmmm… Sounds interesting! I’ll try to research more about sunflower butter and include it in my future articles.

4. Connie Veilleux October 16, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

Jenny – Thanks so much for sharing this great info. I am a huge believer in almond butter and eat it all the time, but I didn’t know all these facts. I appreciate you bringing these to the table, so to speak:D Keep up the great job you do of sharing important and relevant info for the vegetarian community .. so much is pertinent to the gluten free community as well. LOVE your website!

• Jenny Sangler October 17, 2012 at 2:52 am #

Thanks for the kind words! Welcome to our blog!

5. Katie October 29, 2012 at 1:17 pm #

Seeing as both choices are full of good fats, protein, and antioxidants, I’d say eat the one that you prefer. For me, peanut butter wins in flavor. I have also tried sunflower butter (the boy I nanny is allergic to peanuts) and think it’s delicious!

• Jenny Sangler October 30, 2012 at 3:25 am #

I agree! It still boils down to the one that you prefer.